This installment of our department badge series deals with the round badge issued in 1911. Up until this time there was no standard badge issued to members of the department. 1911 marks the first time ALL members of the department were issued the same badge no matter which company they belonged to.
Welcome to our second installment in our Department Badge series. This installment deals with the West Haven Fire Police. Organized in 1899, the Fire Police would play a large role in our department for several years before disbanding in 1913 to make way for the organization of the Borough’s police force.
Above is a photograph of our Fire Police. The first mention of the “Fire Police” appears in the revised 1898 Rules and Regulations of the West Haven Fire Department.
From our department’s inception in 1888, on through to the present day, our members have worn a variety of different badges. The department’s Historical Library staff has been busy researching and documenting the evolution of the department badge. We have scoured our archives, reached out to our members both past and present, and have studied several private collections. We invite you to join us on our journey through the years. This is a work in progress and will continue to be updated as we gather more information along the way.